Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bloggable Moments

I’ve had a lot of what I consider “bloggable” moments pass me by in the past two years. Maybe it was that I didn’t really think I ever wanted to blog until recently or that I didn’t realize how interesting my experiences were until they were the past.

Now is the time: I have a new endeavor that will certainly generate interest and happens to tie in with my passion of science education /science literacy. I am teaching after-school science activities to elementary students.

I have delivered science enhancement activities to middle and high school students, but elementary is a totally new realm! And, as luck has it, my assigned classes are the K-2 groups… not the grade 3-5 students who might be able to help me ease into this younger student group.

I am committed to teaching 8 weeks of science after school lessons, and I am going to attempt to provide commentary for each week of classes. That’s right girls and boys (that’s appropriate for K-2, right?), I am going to capture this “bloggable” moment!

This is week 1, day 1.

And it seemed luck was on my side – my first experience was at a private school with a middle school volunteer and a parent volunteer. Sounds good, right?

I had only 15 students today (FYI, the minimum is 17 – but shh please don’t tell anyone!) – first and second graders at that (no super little ones!). Even better! Yet, my sentiment is OH MY – What have I gotten myself into?!

Kids hit each other; can’t sit down, especially with both feet on the floor; and are complete chatter boxes – they talk when I’m talking, they talk when they’re talking, they talk ALL the time!

Maybe, just maybe, they stopped talking long enough for the repetition of: observe, predict, test, and report to get into their little heads. And, if not today, I’m not worried – I’ve got another 7 weeks to get these kids to eat, sleep, and breathe the scientific method!

No comments:

Post a Comment